Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wild Horses of Cape Shiriya

Chris and I took a drive north to the Shimokita Penninsula last weekend.

This map was at a roadside stop along the way. There is a picture of a horse and a light house in the north eastern corner - this is Cape Shiriya, where the wild horses live.


The cape area is beautiful, and there's a large area that has been fenced off for the wild horses that roam around here.

"Wild" might be the wrong description for these animals. This colt was stubbornly napping behind this car. The driver didn't really know what to do because I think he was scared to try to move the horse. When the men got in the car to drive away (I'm sure they were thinking that the hum of their engine would rouse the colt from its nap), I went over and pushed it to its feet. It was like trying to push a big dog off of a really comfy couch.

I just love horses! And these were so gentle!

This little guy was my favorite. I loved his coloring.



After watching the horses for a little while, we continued on around the cape to check out the views.

Beautiful area.







It was such a clear day we could see all the way to Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan. The tiny white boat on the horizon is a ferry for transportation between the islands.

After fully exploring the cape, we traveled west to Osorezan. I'll post about that later...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment