Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Curry

Yesterday I went to a Japanese cooking class offered on base. We made Japanese curry... YUM! The class was taught by two sweet old Japanese women, and I can just imagine how much their children and grandchildren love to go to their Grandma's house for dinner....

It was fun to watch them work. They used a curry base, but they obviously added in their own style of cooking. Some of the girls in the class were pretty concerned about getting exact amounts and measurements written down and kept asking how much of everything they were using, especially when it seemed to vary so far from the directions on the curry box. Finally one of the translators explained that curry in Japan is almost like chili in America - everyone has their own style of doing things. Tonight I'm going to try my hand at it... I have fresh vegetables from a local market, panko bread crumbs (for the fried chicken cutlets), 10 lbs of Japanese rice (that was the smallest bag), a box of curry roux, various add-in spices and sauces, and a very vague recipe that doesn't even begin to describe all the cooking I witnessed. Chris is a good sport for putting up with my kitchen experimentation.

2 comments:

  1. That's because all your "experiments" turn out wonderful! Remember that beef you made?? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do okay sometimes... and then I fill the kitchen with smoke from long forgotten french bread toasting in the broiler... Remember that one? :-)

    ReplyDelete